Friday, April 17, 2015

The Hit List: Skater Spotlight for 4/17/2015: Bobby Brady #8

Photo by (not Hispanic Attack- anyone know so we can credit?)
What is your derby name?
Bobby Brady

What is the story behind your name?
At newbie class some of my fellow skaters thought that I looked like Bobby Brady from The Brady Bunch.  So everyone started calling me Bobby Brady.  It ended up that I look more like Peter Brady but Bobby Brady already stuck.

What number do you wear?
8

Why did you choose it?

I won the pine wood derby and broke my first bone when I was eight.  For some reason that year stuck with me when I was a kid and 8 has always been my lucky number.

What is your role in the league?
Skater.

What is your preferred position on the track?
Blocker

What’s your pre-derby athletic background?

I played soccer, basketball, and baseball in my elementary school years.  In high school I played
Volleyball.  In college I played a season of Club Hockey and a season of Club Rugby.

What would you say are your greatest strengths as a skater?
I feel my biggest strength is the ability to read a Jammer and anticipate what they are going to do.

What is your proudest accomplishment in roller derby and why?
My proudest accomplishment was when we won a bout for the first time.  It showed that we were doing something right and helped set the path of where we are today.

Which one of your teammates do you look up to most, and why?
One of the skaters that I look up to is Baird. Although he is not currently skating with us he has definitely left a lasting impact on the team that has carried over to this season. He is one of the most committed, dedicated, positive, and hard working skaters that I have known. His example is something that we can all learn from to become better skaters and a better team. We miss you man get back here soon!

What is your best memory of the 2014 MRDA season?

The final whistle of our last bout at the cup.  It was a great feeling ending our best season yet.

What is your motivational quote?
“Play it like you know it” – Thomas Burt

How did you get involved with roller derby?
I heard about The Quadfathers after watching a women’s bout.  I looked them up and they invited me to a practice.  The rest is history.

Finally, is there anything I didn’t ask you about that you want to talk about?
I would like to say thank you to my family and friends who have supported me over the 5+ seasons.  It always means the world to me when I see you all cheering me on.  I also would like to thank my team.  Through the ups and downs both on and off the track you have always been there.   We truly have a special group and I am proud to call you all my brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment